Flight Sergeant Phillip Matthews
Born 21 July 1920 in Ladywood Birmingham. He was employed as an insurance clerk prior to joining the royal air force. He enlisted on 1 October 1940 and was accepted for pilot training.
1 October 1940. He enlisted, volunteering for aircrew and was posted to RAF Cardington.
4 January 1941. No.4 Initial training Wing, RAF Blackpool.
8 June 1941. Posted to Albany, Georgia to commence pilot training.
19 July 1941. Posted to Maxwell Field, Montgomery, Alabama.
13 September 1941. RCAF Trenton, Ontario.
26 December 1941. He returned to the UK.
23 July 1942. No.2 Signals school, RAF Yatesbury for Radio Operator training.
4 December 1942. No.61 maintenance Unit.
20 March 1943. 18 Initial Training Wing RAF Bridgenorth.
19 May 1943. No.2 Radio School. RAF Yatesbury.
23 August 1943. No.4 (O) Advanced Flying School. RAF West Fraugh.
5 October 1943. No.29 Operational Training Unit. RAF North Luffenham.
2 March 1944. 51 base, RAF Swinderby.
6 June 1944. Joined 61 squadron, RAF Skellingthorpe.
At 29 Operational Training Unit he would have "crewed up" with four others to form a 5 man crew on Wellingtons. At RAF Swinderby the crew wwere joined by 2 more crew, another air gunner and a flight engineer.
The full crew above and their regular aircraft shown below
On joining 61 squadron their first flight was 10/11 June 1944 to Orleans. P/O D E Stone had flown on 6/7 June as 2nd pilot on an operation to Argentan.
The operations that followed were;
- 10-11/06/44 Orleans LL911 QR-X F/O DER Stone
- 12-13/06/44 Poitiers ND867 QR-V F/O DER Stone
- 14-15/06/44 Aunay ME732 QR-P F/O DER Stone
- 15-16/06/44 Chatellerault ME732 QR-P F/O DER Stone
- 19-20/09/44 Pas De-Calais ME732 QR-P F/O DER Stone
- 04-05/07/44 St Leu D’Esserent ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 07-08/07/44 St Leu D’Esserent ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 14-15/07/44 Villeneuve St-George ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 18/07/44 Caen ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 18-19/07/44 Revigny ND902 QR-Z F/L DER Stone
- 28-29/07/44 Stuttgart ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 30/07/44 Cahagnes ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 31/07/44 Joigny ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 01/08/44 Mont Candon ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 02/08/44 Bois De-Casson ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 05/08/44 St Leu D’Esserent LL777 QR-S F/L DER Stone
- 06/08/44 Bois De-Casson LL777 QR-S F/L DER Stone
- 07/08/44 Sequeville LL777 QR-S F/L DER Stone
- 25-26/08/44 Darmstadt LL911 QR-X F/L DER Stone
- 26-27/08/44 Konigsberg LL911 QR-X F/L DER Stone
- 29-30/08/44 Konigsberg LL911 QR-X F/L DER Stone
- 05-06/09/44 Brest ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 19-20/09/44 Munchen Gladbach ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
- 23-24/09/44 Ladbergen – D.E Canal ME732 QR-P F/L DER Stone
---Failed to Return---